Monday, April 20, 2009



Marilyn Winn Green, loving mother, wife, grandmother, daughter, sister, and friend was born August 29, 1945 in Preston, Idaho to Spencer Tanner and Thora Palmer Winn. She passed away after a valiant 8-month battle with a very rare cancer (Mixed Mullerian Sarcoma) on April 20, 2009, surrounded by her daughters and husband. She lived in Fairview, ID until the 3rd grade, when her family moved to Preston, ID where she spent the rest of her childhood.  After high school, she went to Brigham Young University in Provo, UT where she met her eternal companion, Edward E. Green.  They were married November 25, 1964 in the Logan Temple. After living in California, Indiana, and various places in Utah, they settled in Orem, UT where they lived for 37 years. They have 9 children and 19 grandchildren.

Marilyn loved the piano and worked hard at perfecting the art.  She had a deep appreciation for music and dance, and was a dancer when she was young.  She and Ed performed various gigs around the country and throughout their life together, with Ed on the guitar and Marilyn on the keyboard. She loved literature and was gifted at shorthand and spelling.  She was completely devoted to her husband, children, and grandchildren and loved them more than life.  She was always concerned with the welfare of others.  She had the ability to make everyone feel welcome and important in her presence with a contagious smile and laugh. She had many who respected and loved her knowledge and passion for her country, its politics, and current events. She also had a love of the gospel of Jesus Christ and she remained faithful throughout her entire life, with a strong testimony of eternal families. She served diligently in many callings, and her most recent and favorite calling was playing the piano for the Primary. She left a lasting impression on all those she knew and will be dearly missed by her family and friends.

Marilyn is survived by her husband of 44 years, father, siblings: Beverlee (F.L. Tom) Thomas, Kristine (Jerry) Twiggs, Vance (Loni) Winn, Bob (Julie) Winn, sister-in-law, Carol Winn; children and grandchildren: Curtis (Tonya)- Amanda & Tiffany; Darren (Cherisa)- Jake, Britton, Sydney, & Rachel; Marty (Nancy)- Shalyn, Brandon, Amber, & Ryan; Tracy (Daryl) Warner- Wesley, Anna, & Brooklyn; Allison (Cameron) Tovey- Erica, Emma, Chase, & Leah; Deanna (Erik) Weierholt- Kris & Dallin; Travis, Andrea, & Ronnie Green; cousin, Patti Greaves, and many other cousins, nieces, and nephews. She is preceded in death by her mother and two brothers, Kevin and Gerry.

The family would like to thank all of the doctors and nurses who cared for Marilyn.

Funeral services will be held Thursday, Apr. 23 at 11:00 a.m. at the Sharon 3rd Ward building at 430 S. 700 E. Orem, UT. There will be a viewing on Wednesday, April 22 from 6-8 p.m., at the  Walker Sanderson Funeral Home, 646 E. 800 N. Orem, UT 84097 or Thursday morning at the church from 9:30-10:45 a.m. Interment will be at Orem City Cemetery. You may visit our blog and post memories at www.MemoriesOfMarilyn.blogspot.com.

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful written, and made me feel proud to have know Sister Green. I will miss her dearly. I love you all and pray for your comfort and peace during this difficult time. As always, I am always here for you if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent and I want to tell you all that we love you very much. We will miss Marilyn very much. We send our love to the family and especially Ed. We pray that the spirit of comfort is with the family. We love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to send my love to the Green family on this day. I pray you all have peace and comfort today and the days ahead. I always enjoyed seeing your mom when coming to visit. She was always very kind and asked me how things were going even in her final days. I will always appreciate that. If there is anything you all need, just tell Andrea and I will take care of whatever it might be.
    Love, Ryan A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy from the Lehi Literacy CenterApril 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM

    I send my love to your family today. I will always have fun memories: going to Porter's Place or Wingers for lunch, the meetings around the conference table, the political views that were shared, and the "always" happy person! Keep all those special thoughts and moments close to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the entire Green family,
    I just want you to know how much I love and appreciate everything that you gave to me throughout my life! Especially to Andrea, I love you like a sister, always have, always will. You are incredible and I love you. I wish I could be there Thursday, I will be with you in prayer. Ashley Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the Green family,

    I was so sorry to hear the sad news of Sister Green's illness and passing. She always brought joy to those around her. It has been such a pleasure reading this blog and feeling the love that is shared in your family. Thank you for sharing with all of us. Our love and prayers are with you all.

    Connie Swenson Kumpf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey Keller ThompsonApril 22, 2009 at 11:00 AM

    It has been a sweet experience to be there in your home this week. I was reminded once again of the many happy hours as children that we all spent there in that place. As we talked, I witnessed countless people come over, and of course, just "walk in" without even knocking because they know that they are welcome there. My sister Sara said, "that's just the kind of house it was! I always just walked in!" Now that I am a mother of nine myself, I marvel at that "open door" policy. Surely it came from Sis. Green. She was warm, fun, funny, accepting and totally unpretentious. As wonderful and as talented as she was, she was always humble and down-to-earth. She always took upon herself the care and concern for all her children, even when they were grown and gone, she continued to constantly care and worry and do everything she could for them. In this hectic, selfish world, she would always make time for people. You never felt in a rush in her presence. She made time to talk, to visit, to "let you in" to her space, her time, her life. It was clear to all who spent time around them that Brother Green adored her. One look at her wedding photos can reveal why! Of course she was beautiful! His very own Barbie doll! But more importantly, she was his best friend, his constant companion. I remember that most Friday or Saturday nights they would go to the grocery store together. Even the smallest thing they enjoyed together. The "yelling" that was sometimes heard was fun banter between them or with the children. Brother Green with a twinkle in his eye, "Thora!!!" He had little nicknames for all of us (mine was mostly "Spacy," very fitting). You knew if you were going to the Greens that you were going to have fun. I am grateful for all the hosting they did, I remember the many "mega party/dances" that we had, complete with disco ball! I remember singing with the band in the basement sometimes. We even practiced creative dance and gymnastics there. Through all of these antics and adventures, Sis. Green let us learn and grow and never criticized, but allowed us the freedom to learn from our own experience. Surely this is how our Heavenly Parents guide us also. The best measure of her life is her beautiful family. Each one of her children is strong, smart and loving. They have gleaned from her the art of unconditional love. You can feel it from each of them in their own way and can see how well they are raising Marilyn's beautiful grandchildren. Best of all, she was loved by them. I think that this is the greatest compliment any mother could ever receive and was most likely Sis. Green's only goal and desire in life: to love and be loved. I am grateful for her example to me and the lessons I have learned from her and I am grateful for the love and friendship I have received from the whole family, but especially my best friend, Tracy, for all these years. I am praying for you all at this time and know that the Holy Ghost will be there with you when others cannot be. To Sis. Green, God be with you til we meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was such a privilege to get to know Marilyn as a visiting teacher. Actually, she taught me so much more than I ever taught her. I might give a lesson, but she always knew the right things to say to make this old lady feel good. She always had a smile, even when we knew she didn't feel like smiling.

    Our family cannot ever thank Ed and Marilyn enough for what they did for us at our 50th wedding anniversary party (they made the party!!!) They set up their musical instruments and played all night from beginning to end. Then to top it off, Ed took lots of pictures for us. Our family will never forget it and the party was a success because of Marilyn and Ed. They looked so cute playing together.

    Thank you Marilyn and Ed.

    Margaret Brown

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been feeling so sad that I couldn't be there tonight and tomorrow. My heart has been so full of thoughts, memories and prayers for your family these last few days.

    I have been reading these beautiful memories and can hardly believe what a tribute this is to your precious Mom. How many people have loved and been loved by her!

    I would like to add my own tribute to her and to all of you:

    How much happier was my youth because of the Green home and the love and acceptance that I felt there always. Sister Green was the center of the home mostly found behind the bar of the kitchen serving family, friends and even strangers who came and went with complete freedom in that home.

    Stacey mentioned the Green's home being the major venue for all cool events. What priceless memories I have watching movies, playing video games (the Green's had the very first Nintendo in all of Orem), having sleepovers, (only to wake up at 8:00 a.m. the next morning to go to Russian Lessons!) dances, jumping on the trampoline or just hanging out with any or all of the Green family (Brother and Sister Green were so cool that even as teenagers we liked to hang out with them!)

    I recently attended a gathering at the Green home (all grown up and with a family of my own) during which Brother Green overheard me introducing myself to someone. He broke in and asked: "is that our Sara?" The Greens truly had adopted me into their home as their own. They did the same for so many others (I still remember your funniest exchange student who told us that it was good for you to eat orange peels-I totally believed him and ate the peel for years!) This came so naturally for them because they were so accepting of any and all people. That was the best part of being at the Green's, when you are there you are family.

    Thank you Green family for the support, acceptance and love that you gave me for so many years. I will never forget your Mom's contagious laugh, the cute way she had of saying things, her awesome recipes, the beauty and warmth of her home and of her spirit.

    I love you all especially Deanna. You will be continually in my thoughts and prayers!

    Love,
    Sara(Keller) Jensen

    ReplyDelete